Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Jawbreaker Nails!

One of my major weaknesses is nail polish.  I've loved to polish my nails since I had my first Tinkerbell make-up set with peel-able nail polish (don't even get me started on how bad of a habit that's become over the years).  With the help of a some nail polish thinner, my collection still has some bottles I got before going to summer camp approximately 20 years ago.  I will go into it in more detail in later posts, but for reference I currently own somewhere in the neighborhood of 175 bottles of nail polish.   For the most part, that number tends to surprise people, but I've also met people who own over 900 bottles (and more often, followed them on the internet).

For Christmas, nail polish is a pretty safe bet as a stocking-stuffer for me, especially if you can find a fun unique shade.  I got a few polishes for Christmas, including a set of Minnie Mouse OPI minis and Revlon - Whimsical, which on first sight looks kind of like green funfetti.


I don't have anything else like this, so I was excited to try it.  The base on this polish is surprisingly sheer for how milky it looks in the bottle. When applied to naked nails, the biggest effect is from the large pink and blue hex glitter as well as the smaller pink/blue/silver glitters. There's a super-slight milky green tinge on your nails, but not enough that most people would notice without examining it closely for a while.  Not quite what I was hoping for when I saw the bottle.

In hopes of getting my nails to look a little more like the polish in the bottle, I layered the Whimsical over a coat of Sally Hanson Extreme in White On.  It still took three coats to be able to see the green quite as well as in the bottle, but the white undercoat was definitely key to the final look.


After a coat of Seche Vite, they look just like mini jawbreakers! I wore this manicure for almost a week. I t was a nice way to brighten up early January.

I will eventually experiment with wearing this polish layered over other colored bases, and who knows, maybe I will wear it alone at some point.  I can say I'm a little less curious about the sister polish, Popular, now that I've actually worn Whimsical.

P.S. According to the internet nail world, Whimsical is a pretty darn close duplicate of Deborah Lippmann's Glitter in the Air.

No comments:

Post a Comment